Everyone knows about the need to care for their biological health: doctors, social advertising and people around us repeat the importance of timely medical examinations, proper nutrition and the rejection of bad habits. What about mental health?
What is the concept of a mentally healthy person, what are the criteria for mental health and what methods are used to identify violations?
A mentally healthy person can realize their potential and contribute to the life of society, work productively and adequately withstand the stress of life. He is balanced, satisfied with his life, interacts effectively with reality, is constantly evolving, can perform the tasks that are presented to him in different spheres of life.
Of course, he is not oblivious to anxiety, fear and guilt, but they are not dominant.
Social and mental health
The influence of the social in mental health is very great: the personality is constantly affected by various social bonds (family, friends, colleagues, belonging to a religious group, etc.), and the consequences of this social influence can be as much positive as negative.
Our behavior and development, attitude towards people, our mental health depend on who we communicate with, how we spend our free time, what kind of educational standards we have instilled in the family. Surely you’ve heard the expression: it’s from a dysfunctional family.
An unstable person can change or degrade due to negative social impacts. For example, a child can start smoking because classmates who smoke say that this is normal and that the child can not resist this influence.
Only sustainability helps the individual to withstand negative external conditions and achieve their goals, fight against obstacles and maintain their own mental health.
How to evaluate mental health?
The human body is a complex system in which all the elements are interconnected. Therefore, when evaluating mental health, the work of the whole organism as a whole and the nervous system in particular is evaluated.
The indicators, which are obtained as a result of the tests, are compared with the norm, but not always the identified changes can be considered only positive or negative, so only specialists can evaluate mental health.
In summary, mental health is characterized by an adequate development of the psyche and its favorable functioning, the absence of psychosomatic or mental illnesses.
A complete conclusion about mental health can be reached on the basis of the opinions of various experts in the field of psychoanalysis, psychiatry and psychology, neurology and psychoneurology. In some situations, consultations and other specialists are required.
However, to a certain extent, each person can evaluate their condition using simple methods and knowing some mental health criteria. It is worth contacting a specialist if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Decreased mental performance, difficulty concentrating.
- Drowsiness, loss of interest in activities.
- Recovery too long.
- The appearance of fears without cause.
- Depressed state, apathy.
- A feeling of discomfort in different parts of the body may indicate the presence of psychosomatic disorders.
- Poor sleep If, after hard work, you fall asleep quickly and get up with a fresh head in the morning, this is normal. But if even the biggest burdens can not make you fall asleep, or in the morning you do not feel rested, then your body needs recovery.
Many of the above symptoms can be considered signs of overwork. Yes, anyone can work too much and lose interest in the work, but if the signs do not disappear after a break, this is an alarming signal. To reduce the likelihood of overwork, you should use methods to improve work efficiency, check your daily routine, make sure you rest.
Keep a balance between work and rest to feel good!
Mental health standards and criteria
Determining the health norm is a very difficult task, it is much easier to detect the presence of any violation. It is impossible to determine the mental health norm of a person according to the criteria of 1 to 2, in this subject we need an integrated approach and special methods. In the literature, you can find different sets of criteria by which the manifestations of a healthy psyche are evaluated, here is your list:
- Self-confidence, diligence, optimism, naturalness, impatience, morality (honesty), concentration, adequate self-esteem, determination, good will, self-esteem, responsibility, independence, patience, self-control, sense of humor.
- The ability to empathize and rejoice, the ability to cope with negative emotions, emotional stability, the natural and free expression of emotions, the maturity of feelings according to age.
- Knowledge of oneself, adequate perception of reality, ability to think logically, critical thinking, ability to focus on the subject, ability to remember, ability to work, ability to control thoughts and use intelligence.
A mentally healthy person lives at peace with herself, knows how to control her emotions, think logically and analyze, empathize, take responsibility for her actions.
Symptoms of mental illness:
- Passivity, loss of self-confidence, dependence on bad habits, avoiding responsibility.
- Hostility, high anxiety, unreasonable anger, inability to sympathize.
- Lack of organization, greater suggestibility, irrationality, inadequate perception of reality and oneself, non-critical thinking.
A person with mental illness can be in conflict, indifferent to their relatives, hostile, cruel. As a general rule, it is characterized by a position of passive life, hypertrophied or weakened self-control, self-centeredness, thirst for power.
How to improve mental health
There is a whole science on how to achieve and maintain mental health, mental hygiene. Compliance with mental hygiene rules does not solve all problems, but eliminates many difficulties that a person may encounter.
Try to follow these rules and you can see how your life is changing.
- Always learn By increasing the level of your education, you become a more interesting interlocutor, the attitude of others around you is improving, this is important for social development. Learning opens up new opportunities, because you can learn almost everything. It is not necessary to obtain another higher education: use the training programs, the courses, try the online training methods.
- Get rid of bad habits. Be independent, do not let cigarettes or alcohol catch you.
- Do what is good for others. Helping parents and friends, volunteering, charity, all this helps to restore emotional balance and distract from problems.
- Do what you love. If you still can not make a living with your favorite job, do not reject it, do it in your free time.
- Learn to be disciplined, use self-control methods. Failure to comply with promises causes feelings of guilt, helplessness, depression, leading to a decrease in self-esteem. Learn to control yourself, start with a small one: set an easy task for yourself and follow it without fail. Go gradually to more complex tasks, just follow your plans.
- Practice sports, of any kind, if you just like it. Sport helps fight depression, relieves stress, disciplines.
- Avoid the routine. Travel, try something new, get impressions: this is necessary to feel happy.
- Stay close to those with whom you feel comfortable. Do not be afraid to break relationships with uninviting people, make new friends.
- Learn to get rid of insults, learn to forgive.
- Try to think about the good. Negative thoughts overwhelm us, affect our well-being. People who often think bad things show signs of depression.
- Learn to be truly grateful: this feeling helps you appreciate life and do not get mad at the nonsense. Thank the world for the new day, family and friends for anything small. It will be nice not only for you, but also for others.
- Learn to find beauty in everything: attend exhibitions, walk in parks and streets, look at all those trees and flowers, for which you used to run, without looking. Go to nature, refer to art: it helps to calm down, to relieve stress.
Be attentive to yourself and your loved ones, follow the rules of mental hygiene, develop your own methods to improve mental health and enjoy life, because it is beautiful!