Few people go to the doctor for a reason as insignificant as dizziness, even if their attacks are frequent. However, they can be an alarming symptom of a serious illness that significantly reduces the quality of life.
If we talk about getting rid of the problem, gymnastics for the vestibular apparatus can become an effective part of an integral treatment and greatly alleviate a person’s physical condition. Let’s dwell on this important topic in more detail.
Interruption of the balance system.
The vestibular apparatus is a very small and sensitive system, which is found in the inner ear and eventually forms in a child after ten years. Its complex mechanism, which allows a person to navigate in three-dimensional space and maintain balance, has not been studied in its entirety.
In normal operation, it provides a vertical position of the body, coordinated movements of its parts when moving, spatial orientation.
Alterations in the work of this important organ are manifested by symptoms such as dizziness or contraction of the eyeball. The concomitant signs of the disease can be nausea, vomiting, fluctuations in blood pressure, poor coordination of movements.
These symptoms are caused by injuries to the cervical spine, head injuries, strokes, neurological diseases, impaired blood flow in this area and other causes that require detailed examination.
Drug therapy is not always effective enough, and some medications due to side effects are plagued by allergic reactions. The integral treatment of serious diseases that have a symptomatic nature, includes, in addition to pharmacotherapy, special gymnastics with the effect of biofeedback.
It is called vestibular and its objective is to rehabilitate the patient.
Vestibular gymnastics with dizziness performs many tasks. In particular, it allows:
- Ensure the adaptation of the vestibular apparatus to the spatial position of the body.
- reduce the discomfort feeling of dizziness
- reduce the possibility of injuries and falls
- regain control of the position of the body in space
- to replace damaged vestibular function with other sensory organs, in particular, with vision.
The exercises are usually designated after the elimination of episodes of dizziness and are characterized by high efficiency. After completing the full course, almost 80% of patients experience better health and the complete restoration of spatial orientation functions is typical of one third of the victims.
The factors that determine the effectiveness of gymnastics are:
- Negligence of the disease: the period of time since the first symptoms
- patient’s age
- Experience and qualifications of a patient instructor.
- State of the nervous system, the level of its depression.
- severity of vestibular function damage
- cause of dizziness
When performing gymnastics, compliance with certain rules is required:
- the fit should be comfortable and pleasant, there should be no sharp objects nearby
- I need to find comfortable shoes without heels.
- If you do not feel well you need to cancel
- every two weeks the complex must be adjusted with the help of a specialist
- The presence of an assistant is desirable during the initial period.
- the lightness must be high enough
- To perform the exercises, you must choose a comfortable rhythm, slow at first, gradually accelerating over time
- Inhalation is done through the nose and exhalation, through the mouth, but with the lips closed.
- All the exercises are repeated seven times and are more complex, three or four times, depending on the capabilities of the body.
- The gymnastics should be daily.
Components of the complex.
Therapeutic exercises for vertigo consist of several groups, each of which is aimed at achieving certain tasks.
The complex for restoring balance includes exercises for the eyes and the head in a sitting and standing position. They must be done very slowly and with numerous repetitions.
In the first days, the dizziness may worsen, but then it will pass, and the condition will improve significantly, after which you may try doing the exercises also with your eyes closed. The complex includes the following simple movements:
- Look up and down, to the sides, repeat the movements up to 10-20 times
- the head is inclined forward and backward, to the sides, first with the mouth open and with dizziness, with closed eyes.
The vestibular-ocular coordination complex helps with information received from the eyes to train the brain to control the position of the body in space. After you stop looking at a fixed object located at a certain distance, perform some simple movements, with multiple repetitions:
- curves and turns the head sideways at an angle of approximately 30 degrees
- The same movements back and forth, without taking your eyes off the fixation point.
The vestibular-trunk complex in coordination aims to achieve the ability to control the spatial position of the body. It presents more complex exercises and requires the presence of an assistant, who will ensure against falls.
Skills practiced as the skill:
- stand on a level surface, periodically shifting your weight from one foot to the other
- Crouch without bending the knees and reaches the ankles.
- stop a minute or two with your eyes closed
- with open eyes lift on the toes
- Walk around the room first with your eyes open and then with your eyes closed (along with an assistant)
- In observation, make curves and turns to the sides or dance movements.
The value of gymnastics.
The characteristics of vestibular gymnastics in terms of dynamic exercises such as a pendulum, inclinations and turns, are excellent training for the vessels. The dizziness weakens or disappears completely, the intensity of the headaches decreases.
There is an increase in resistance to physical and mental stress, which improves the quality of life.
When performing exercises, special attention should be paid to movements of the head or body that cause intense dizziness, and repeat them carefully 10 to 20 times a day, until a compensation mechanism is formed in the brain. It is necessary to periodically fix the head in this position for half a minute.
Repeatedly performing such simple exercises for several weeks can improve the function of the vestibular apparatus.
The vestibular gymnastics is selected in a strictly individual way for each patient, taking into account their age and the type of disease. Self-exercise can be harmful.
Therefore, when dizziness and other similar symptoms appear, it is necessary to consult a specialist and be examined.