Running is a universal exercise, physical activity, which is suitable for athletes of almost any age and level of training, absolutely for all people who have no problems with the musculoskeletal system. Both school children in physical education classes and highly experienced athletes in many sports run members of the Olympic teams.
What muscles swing when running? What muscles are affected when running? Is it true that a press is involved during a race?
Let’s find the answers to these questions together and consider how different muscle groups work as they run, including the most beloved press.
A little about running: how is he.
Running is one of the oldest forms of exercise. Even in ancient Greece during the first Olympic Games there were racing competitions.
Running gave and now gives the opportunity to compete both in speed (races for short distances) and in resistance (races in long distances).
By the way, surely many readers have heard the story of the appearance of a sport like a marathon. It was like this.
In ancient Greece, there was a city of Marathon, where a messenger ran to the current king. He fell before the king and shouted: Our army won the victory! After these words he sighed one last time.
The messenger ran without stopping for about 40 kilometers, literally in the last forces, but took the message to the ruler.
Since then, athletes began competing in long distance races, which became known as the marathon.
Now this discipline is included in the list of competitions for the Olympic Games. It is true that it is quite difficult to master and, to put it mildly, it is not suitable for beginners.
What muscle groups represent the main load?
The following are the main muscle groups involved in this exercise.
- Quadriceps The quadriceps is a quadriceps extensor muscle located in the front of the thigh. It allows you to flex the leg in the knee joint during movement, therefore, it works in the running process. Quadriceps also participate in many power simulators, for example, in a simulator-razgibele, in a bench press with legs, in a cat trainer. In addition, they are perfectly loaded during several types of squats with a bar, weights or dumbbells.
- Biceps hips The biceps of the thigh is a biceps flexor muscle located at the back of the thigh. It allows you to bend the leg in the knee joint during movement and, therefore, works in the running process. The biceps of the thigh also swings in special simulators, where you can bend the legs. The hip biceps are also used in many power trainers. In addition, they are perfectly loaded during several types of squats with a bar, weights or dumbbells. The thigh biceps also work well during barbell push-ups, deadlifts, Romanian thrusts, etc.
- The calf These muscles are responsible for the movement of the ankle. It is thanks to the gastrocnemius muscles that we can stand on the toes and perform movements with the feet and fingers. The calves in the process of running together with the quadriceps and the biceps of the thigh help to stabilize the movement itself. So running is also developing gastrocnemy in addition to everything else, and it does not make it worse than riding a bicycle. The gastrocnemius muscles are well pumped during the lifting of dumbbell or dumbbell socks, during dumbbell or dumbbell squats, and when working in a special simulator, and in each room it can be your own simulator.
- Press The press performs an exclusively static function designed to maintain the body during physical exertion. The press has a fairly large load during execution. The press is also responsible for the correct breathing and elevation of the thorax, so the execution indirectly trains this group of muscles. In addition, you can load this group of muscles by lifting in a Roman chair, lifting the body off the floor, turning, bending and other exercises.
- Loins The lower part of the back represents the majority of the load exerted by the body weight during a race. This group of muscles (like the press) performs a purely static function aimed at maintaining the body during physical exertion. The loins are well loaded with hyperextensions, earrings with bars and other related exercises.
How can they be strengthened?
How to strengthen the main muscle groups involved in the race? What can the preparatory exercises do?
- First, pay due attention to stretching and work through flexibility. It is important to have greater elasticity in the back of the thigh. Also, do not forget to stretch the ligaments and tendons. A good stretch will significantly reduce the risk of injury. To improve it, it is sufficient to perform a series of simple exercises that you can activate as a docking session after the main training. At the same time, it is important to stretch only if your muscles are as hot as possible.
- It is also useful to strengthen the muscles of the legs, the abdominals and the lower back in the gym. The main thing with this – not to hold the muscles. I work with light weights in simulators. Properly dose the load. Do not forget a full warm-up and a proper exercise technique.
Let’s summarize the above. Running is a universal exercise.
It is suitable for athletes of almost any age and level of training, and for ordinary people who have no problems with the musculoskeletal system. Both students in physical education classes and very experienced athletes, and even members of the Olympic teams, run.
In the training process, although it is not very long, five main muscle groups participate. Quadriceps, which allow the leg to flex at the knee joint during movement. The biceps of the thigh, which allow you to bend the leg in the knee joint during movement.
The calf muscles are involved in the process of running along with the quadriceps and the biceps of the hip, which helps to stabilize the movement itself. The muscles of the press have a fairly large load while running.
By the way, the abdominal muscles are responsible for the correct breathing and elevation of the thorax. The weight of your body gives you a big load on your lower back while you run.
This group of back muscles performs a purely static function aimed at maintaining the body during any physical effort. In sports training there are several ways to strengthen the core muscles involved in the race.
You can work on stretching and elasticity, or also strengthen the main muscle groups in the simulators.
Finally, we wish our readers sporting success, health and longevity. Approach wisely to any training, correctly measure the load, listen to your body, and then there will be obstacles and difficulties on your shoulders!
Take the habit of living a healthy lifestyle, teach it to your child from an early age. Sport is a great joy, a great way to spend family leisure.
Yes, the sport of great achievements is unthinkable without injuries, but we are talking mainly about ordinary athletes. And with them everything is much easier, the main thing is not to exaggerate with the dosage of charges.