Making a metal shelf with your own hands is sometimes the most rational solution for equipping the garage, the pantry or any other service room. These shelves can support a considerable weight, which represents a reliable storage for tools, equipment and various things. The frame adjusted to the sizes, unlike what was purchased, will fit ideally in any room.
In addition, when a tree deteriorates rapidly, metal shelves are maintained for years, do not fear high humidity.
The dimensions of the frame depend on the weight and type of things stored in it, as well as the availability of free space. Therefore, the drawings are created individually each time, and any general recommendation on how to do it can not be fundamentally.
The always linear parameters, the shape and configuration of the shelves in the back room are determined by the teacher independently.
The metal grid is not always completely assembled from the “iron”. The individual structural elements can be replaced by wood or plastic. This is explained by reduction considerations:
- It consumes much time
- weight of the structure
- financial expenses.
Most of the time, the frame is made of metal and the shelf is made of a lighter material. Otherwise, you will have to perform a series of additional assembly operations.
In particular, in order not to form a deflection, it will be necessary to cut thick and heavy metal sheets or weld ribs at the bottom under each shelf.
To achieve the guaranteed stability, it is necessary to plan the fixing of the frame to the wall and the floor. On the basis of the construction of concrete products are fixed fasteners with a length of at least 7 cm.
The frame is attached to a brick or wood wall with 4.5 cm fasteners.
Fixing a large general structure to the ground must be done in a “sled” from a large corner. The frame of a small size is sufficient to “fasten” with welded metal “heels” to the ends of the grids.
How to spend less time and money.
To assemble a high quality metal shelf with a limited budget, pay attention to the components of the project such as:
- level width
- connection method.
The replacement of metal shelves with plastic or wood has already been reported previously. When choosing the width of the horizontal tables destined for the storage of objects, do not do it the same in all the levels, but narrow when lifting.
It is explained in a simple way, the most dimensional and heavy things are not only more convenient to place, but also safer.
The large dimensions of the platform will require the use of the general corner, otherwise its deviation can not be avoided. A wide table together with additional support elements increases the cost of the project.
It is necessary to limit the standard width of the shelves 35-40 cm.
If you have the skills and have access to the welding machine, it will be easier to assemble a single monolithic structure. It is true, it is difficult to move it if necessary.
Making the folding frame will allow you to obtain an easily movable design. However, it will be incomparably more difficult to manipulate, drilling thick metal for numerous connections will require a lot of effort.
The main stages of the creation of the rack.
By dedicating yourself to making metal shelves with your own hands, you can not let the process flow. Even in spite of the fact that the work does not pretend to be externally attractive, the details of simple geometric forms are used, and the design will be placed in the service room.
Remember, only the creation of a drawing or sketch will avoid unpleasant discoveries when assembling the frame and forming the boxes.
The convenience process can be divided into several main stages:
- Project development. It includes measurements of the room, the determination of the location of the structure, the choice, according to the parameters of the stored property, the type and size of the frame, the “drawing” of the drawing.
- Acquisition of pieces. It consists in the acquisition, cutting of sheet steel, acquisition of structural elements of the desired size. Depending on the expected load, a metal (as a rule, carbon steel) is selected for the frame. Before cutting the sheet, the grade of steel, the conformity of its condition and width with the prepared project is verified.
- Mounting frame. Pay special attention to the geometry of the installed structure, all its elements must be located in parallel or at right angles. The shelves are always attached to the floor and the wall. If the frame reaches the ceiling, its fixation is also convenient here. At this stage, much more work is required to create a collapsible structure. If bolted connections are provided, holes for them (drilling) are created at the points of contact with each other.
It must be taken into account that during operation, the racks are subject to very different loads, which are not always possible to calculate in advance. Therefore, to avoid serious damage, it is worthwhile to make the shelves more solid, harder, more resistant and protect them from the aggressive environment.
Pay special attention to the last stages of manufacturing the product:
- Formation of boxes, installation of shelves. Shelves operated mainly in unheated service room with excess humidity coefficient. Given this, you should abandon the use as side walls and the back wall of the plasterboard. It is possible to use multilayer plywood, agglomerate, agglomerate, orbital particle board (OSB) and other similar products. The optimal material for the shelves is the thickness of the board (depending on the length and load) of 10 to 15 mm. Accurate adhesion to the dimensions will not bind it to the frame. Simply put the boards in the nests formed by the corners.
- Coating The metallic elements are treated with water-repellent paint, the wood part is impregnated with antiseptics and coated with varnish (preferred for residential use) or with paint. In addition, the frames can be decorated with thick paper or plastic.
The last final stage can not be treated as a secondary one. The increased resistance of the product to the aggressive environment will greatly prolong its useful life. If it is convenient for you, it is possible to perform this step before, before assembling the frame.
The main thing is to avoid damaging the lining of individual elements when mounting the structure and placing the shelves.