The explosion of popularity of the loft style, which is also known as the “attic”, will be explained by the annoying classic prudish and boring patterns of ubiquitous European-style repairs. Originally this style of the USA. UU., It spread quickly throughout Europe.
The main characteristics of the loft style are the urbanistic details of industrial premises, open and spacious spaces with high ceilings and presence in many industrial details: open bricks, pipes, wooden and metal beams, cement floors, etc.
The loft style in the interior is preferred by creative, creative and practical people, free of stereotypes and a cozy minimalism in the design of the apartment, and what is surprising: when looking at the photographic designs in the loft style, you can think that this “neglected interior” is economical. In fact, “loft” refers to the most expensive styles in the world.
Loft style features inside.
The translation of the word “loft” from English literally means: the attic, the gallery, the attic, the upper floor of the factory or the warehouse.
The origins of the loft came to the artistic design of its suburban areas of Manhattan, where manufacturers lived in the 40s of the twentieth century. The cost of renting land in the city increased considerably, and industrial companies had to transfer their production facilities to suburban areas.
And the buildings from which the industrial companies went were put up for sale for mere cents, which the bohemian citizens did not fail to take advantage of.
Representatives of art and culture: artists, musicians and artists held their events in such venues: exhibitions and parties, and later, due to its convenient location in the center of large cities, low cost and unique charm of urbanism, such spaces They acted as elite homes.
Characteristics of the room in loft style:
- wide open space
- High ceilings
- Light colors
- An abundance of sunlight that fills the room through large panoramic windows.
- absence of partitions
- Untreated floor surface, roof, walls – bare brick, concrete, beams, floors
- Communication structures that protrude from the walls: pipes, wiring, radiators.
- Harmonious combination with other styles: vintage, high technology, minimalism, Scandinavian, etc.
- chimneys, stoves
- Multifunctional furniture
The glamorous loft is differentiated by the use of unusual colors, other than pastel colors. Special attention is paid to the decoration and lighting in this direction of the loft: ceiling lamps, chandeliers, floor lamps, LED lighting along with huge baroque mirrors, carpets of animal skins on the floor and large concrete pots with large plants.
The Bohemian loft provides a clearly detectable presence of special creativity in the design of the facilities, while retaining the main features of the factory look. The latest design ideas are carefully combined with “old” objects, as if they were in a dumpster.
Preference is given to the placement of accents through interior details to art objects, with the possible presence of asymmetry and differences in styles.
Among these elements, often include sculptures, musical instruments, unusual plant ikebans and works of art, made in the avant-garde style.
The industrial loft is considered the most common. To translate it into the living space, it will be necessary to recreate the atmosphere of the factory floor.
For this purpose, metal constructions, wooden beams, ventilation pipes, wires and areas of the premises are suitable by means of more functional furniture assemblies having regular geometric shapes.
Making a small apartment in loft style.
The open design, which is provided by default for the implementation of the “attic” design, does not always allow to equip the desired interior in a typical small-sized dwelling.
However, if you wish, you can also recreate the industrial style so loved by many in a small apartment.
The main techniques for designing a small room in a loft style:
- The zoning is not partitions, and furniture and columns.
- participation in the design of surfaces of walls, floors and ceilings, a combination of different textures and lighting scenarios
- Arrangement of closed cabinets for books without handles on the facades.
- Color solutions from the dark colors of the factory: brick, gray gray and smoke in combination with each other, up to the clear and light studio: white, light gray, light yellow, creating a visual sensation of corners that are “erased”, as well as a moderate use of saturated brightness. colors in details (no more than 25%)
- Furniture of neutral colors and compact measures.
- Mezzanine equipment to save storage space and increase the usable area.
- Window decoration with open single-color folding curtains or roller shutters with thick decorative tailoring to match the walls
- Heating and ventilation pipes, as well as radiators that protrude from the walls as interior accents.
- Large-format wall panels, graphics, drawings for the entire wall, paintings on the floor, lack of frames, relief coatings.
- Diffused light with accent lighting in the form of exclusive art objects.
- Massive designs of sliding doors to save space, reminiscent of the doors of factory workshops.
All the same techniques can be used in a mainly functional room such as the kitchen. The desire to equip the attic in his apartment in the kitchen allows the rejection of all kinds of conventions and trivial materials, and attract the most incredible ideas, in whose realizations metal, concrete, glass and wood are combined.
It has a loft kitchen:
- Façades of kitchen sets in matt or glossy performance of straight laconic shapes.
- light, natural gamma – white, gray, metallic
- Facades of wood finished in the rough.
- Furniture with the use of forged pieces and leather.
- Brushed steel or transparent plastic hardware.
- Nearly universal use of glass: from table to decorative inserts.
- Minimum use of wall cabinets.
The loft style is suitable not only for the decoration of living spaces, but also for studio apartments, offices, catering establishments and other public places.
Creative individuals with innovative thinking and the presence of creative crazies have infinite opportunities to turn their ideas into the spaces for implementing this inner style.