Finally, your baby was born, and you return home with him from the maternity hospital, they begin the pleasurable tasks to care for the baby. At first, inexperienced parents can worry about any sound the baby makes, if they sneeze, cry, growl or hiccup.
With the hiccups of your toddler you may be familiar even in the womb, babies begin to hiccup while they are still in the mother’s stomach. In this way, they train the respiratory muscles and develop the diaphragm.
Parents often ask themselves: why does a newborn have hiccups after feeding, everything is in order or does he need the help of specialists?
What is called hipo
In the body of an adult or child, the abdominal and thoracic cavities are separated from each other by a special partition: the diaphragm.
The diaphragm is a special and strong septum that consists of muscles and connective tissue. Their contractions help in the act of breathing and regulating intrathoracic or intra-abdominal pressure.
With a sharp and rhythmic contraction of the diaphragm muscles hypo occurs. For adults, hiccups are relatively rare and, often, persistent hiccups are a sign of pathology.
In children, the muscles and nerve plexuses in the diaphragm are still immature, and the hiccups are quite normal and relatively physiological for them. Because of this, the development of the diaphragm occurs, the maturation of nervous regulation and hiccups gradually pass.
Causes of hiccups in newborns
The reasons why a newborn has hiccups after each feeding may be different. The main factors that cause hiccups in newborns include:
- Accumulation of gas in the intestines of a child.
- Stretching the baby’s stomach too much
- muscle tension
- The excitation of the nervous system by any factor of external and internal influence.
Whatever the reasons, if a newborn has hiccups after feeding, it irritates the muscles or nerves of the diaphragm, creating a kind of muscle cramp and a strong contraction of the muscles with characteristic sound and movement.
Consequently, if all the irritants in the diaphragm are eliminated, the hiccups also pass.
In extremely rare cases, persistent and prolonged hiccups can be a sign of damage to the nervous system during delivery as a result of hypoxia, trauma or the influence of negative factors.
Ways to help the newborn
A newborn baby often has hiccups after feeding as a result of a very distended stomach. This can happen as a result of two main reasons:
- The child has eaten too much, usually it happens with the artificial ones, with the incorrect calculation of the feeding volume. In babies, this occurs less frequently, they regulate the volume of the aspirated milk. Excess food in the stomach strongly stretches the weak walls, as a result, the stomach begins to strongly press the diaphragm. In response to irritation and pressure, the diaphragm begins to contract and the newborn has hiccups after feeding.
- The second factor in hiccups can be excess air intake if it incorrectly adheres to the chest, greedy suction, crying during feeding or a bottle improperly chosen for a mixture with a large opening.
How to help the child in these cases?
First, you need:
- To follow the correct connection of the child to the breast, so that it captures not only the nipple itself, but also the majority of the breast aureole, when it is attached, there were no sounds when feeding, except for sips of milk.
- Feed it more often, so that a hungry child does not pounce on food and suck too quickly and actively. If the first portions of milk flow too fast, you can slide your breasts a little before applying the crumbs in the breast to reduce the flow of milk.
- After feeding, give her the opportunity to belch the air, holding it vertically with a spine and patting her back.
- It is necessary for the child of the artificial artist to strictly calculate the volume of the mixture for a diet, to give him a little water, a pacifier between them, to be carried on the arms if the child is worried. It is not necessary to breed another mixture and feed the baby.
- It is important to choose the correct nipple and the size of the hole, as well as a bottle with anti-vibration system, so that the baby does not swallow additional air. Today special nipples with air valve and ergonomic shape are sold. The size of the hole must be minimum so that the mixture only drips slightly from the bottle, but does not flow, the child must suck the contents of the bottle.
If the baby has gas in the intestines, he may also have hiccups after feeding. The period of colic with excessive gas formation lasts in children from approximately three weeks to three months.
This is due to the immaturity of the intestinal wall, the lack of enzymes and the formation of microbial flora. The digestive system is actively learning to function properly, and the side effects of those studies can turn into gas and colic.
This is a completely natural process, although it can cause discomfort to the child, and parents worry about crying and hiccups. A protrusion of the abdominal loop increases intra-abdominal pressure and puts pressure on the diaphragm, irritating the muscles and nerves and causing hiccups.
If a newborn has hiccups after the swelling, you can do the following:
- When breastfeeding, your mom should look more closely at her diet, temporarily excluding foods that generate gas and irritants. They can be fatty dishes, sweets, cabbages, legumes, spicy dishes. In addition, individual reactions of intolerance to certain products may appear swelling. It is important in the first months of feeding to keep a food diary and record all the child’s reactions to the diet introduced by the mother.
- With IV, it is important to choose the right formula for feeding the baby. For children with a sensitive digestion, it can be with goat’s milk, low in lactose or hypoallergenic. With a correctly selected mixture and the calculation of its volume for feeding, the colics decrease sharply.
- With the accumulation of gas, you can massage the abdomen, “bicycle” with your legs, place it on your belly, place a warm diaper on your stomach and even place a gas outlet.
- You can use drugs of vegetable and synthetic origin from gazikov – Sub-simplex, Bobotik, Espumizan, water dill, decoction of fennel or chamomile.
That’s why children react to any external irritation by increasing muscle tone, including the diaphragm. Newborn baby.
Massages, baths with decoction of soothing herbs, help in the hands.
Similarly, the child reacts to a change in temperature, often the hiccups are triggered by disguise or if the child is naked for a while. This does not mean that it is very cold, it means that the receptors of the skin perceive the temperature change and transmit signals to the brain.
He responds with the contraction of the muscles and their excitement, including the muscles of the diaphragm. To help deal with such hiccups, help warm and warm your baby in your arms with the warmth of your body.
Similarly, hiccups can cause other external stimuli: bright light or harsh sounds, strange in the house, that stimulate the nervous system of the crumbs.
When is it worth seeing a doctor?
If the child is constantly hiccuping or hiccups are accompanied by severe anxiety, crying, blue nasolabial triangle, these may be signs:
- nervous system injuries
- Hypoxia in childbirth or during pregnancy.
- Problems with the heart and blood vessels.
- lung lesions
- Diseases of the digestive system.
In these cases, it is necessary to visit the pediatrician and know the causes of hiccups, as well as the appointment of an appropriate treatment based on the identified pathology.