Often, young mothers, even having given birth to a child and breastfeeding, are not ready to give up their bad habit.
Smoking with breastfeeding today is not a rarity, and sometimes it is very difficult to get rid of the bad habit, although it is possible to at least reduce the amount of damage that is done to the baby.
It is important to think that you do not let the child choose when you smoke and breastfeed, and therefore, if you are not ready to stop smoking and have not done so before, you should at least minimize the effect of nicotine and other harmful substances.
What is dangerous nursing smoking?
- The greatest harm to breastfeeding the baby with a nursing mother is nicotine, which is a toxic substance to the body.
- The more cigarettes you smoke, the greater the dose of poison that accumulates in the blood. At the same time, smoking irremediably removes the years of a smoker’s life, on average from 10 to 20 years.
- In addition to nicotine, cigarettes contain up to 4 thousand. Dangerous components, and around 70 of them can cause cancer.
- A smoking mother harms not only herself, but also the baby, as she inhales vapors and cigarette smoke, while breastfeeding also gets a portion of nicotine with milk.
- At the same time, smoking significantly affects breastfeeding. Milk volumes in smoking mothers are lower due to the reduced levels of prolactin suppressed by nicotine.
- The quality of the milk is also getting worse, as it contains fewer vitamins, enzymes and antibodies to protect the crumbs.
- Smoking affects the health of the mother who is breastfeeding, reducing the immune defense and the amount of spare nutrients.
How does nicotine affect a baby?
- Nicotine affects the baby’s heart, which increases the load on him, violates the heart rhythm, leads to tachycardia and arrhythmia.
- In addition, sleep problems are formed with the excitement and anxiety of crumbs, loss of appetite and a slow rate of growth and weight gain, a tendency to allergies, the skin reacts to almost everything with skin rashes.
- Digestion is altered, immunity decreases, respiratory diseases occur.
- The nervous system of a baby can develop with a delay, which will affect mental abilities.
- And smoking mom makes the girl addicted to nicotine.
And the damage from smoking can only be reduced by quitting altogether at least during the breastfeeding period. At the same time, the WHO states that it is better to smoke and breastfeed a child (especially if it reduces the number of cigarettes to at least 5 units per day) than a mother who smokes to transfer the baby to a mixture.
How to reduce the harmful effects?
If you do not want to stop smoking or can not, you should at least limit the amount of cigarettes.
There are several rules that will reduce the negative effects of nicotine in breast milk in a baby.
- It is necessary to limit the amount of cigarettes to 5 per day, you should only smoke during the day, because at night nicotine affects milk production with greater intensity, suppressing it.
- You must smoke immediately after feeding the baby, and at least two hours before the next feeding.
- You can not smoke in the room where the child is, after smoking, change to other clothes immediately, brush your teeth and rinse your mouth, wash your hands of smoke and smell.
- Try not to smoke more than once every two or three hours, and also eat nutritious foods rich in vitamins and minerals, drink more fluids and, often, walk with your child on the street, try to reduce the number of cigarettes to zero to quit smoking completely.