Sling is a strange word that is increasingly found in our lives. They talk a lot about slings and they argue.
There is a huge world of slingomas and even longliners! Yes, many dads are also happy to wear a harness and know what kind of “beast” is the rumor. So, what is all the same and how to use it?
What is a sling for? How to choose the right sling? What sling will fit a newborn baby and is it possible to use this strange object for such babies?
I will try to answer these and many other questions in this article.
And so, a sling is a strap, a piece of cloth, with which a mom or dad ties their baby. Something similar to modern harnesses existed virtually from the origin of man in absolutely all nations.
Old people tied the skins of their babies. In the later period he began to use the cloth.
That is to say, the history of the sling goes far beyond the same stroller, which is so familiar to us. Although it seems, the sling is a kind of new invention.
Why did a person need to tie the children?
Is it because, in the distant past, they simply did not invent a stroller? The answer is unequivocal: no, it is not that.
In the dawn of humanity, bringing children with them all the time was a vital necessity.
Because only when the child is close to the mother, the mother has the opportunity to protect the baby from various dangers: predators, colds, etc.
And also, Mom has the opportunity to get her own food and, therefore, the child will be fed, just like breast milk. All this allowed to prolong the human race.
But it was like this in antiquity. Now we are sitting in our apartment, and the beast can not attack the child lying in the crib.
We do not need to think about the search for food, you can simply buy them.
On the street, a child can be carried in a stroller, where he, too, is practically not exposed to any danger.
So why does this “obsolete” attribute of raising children return so quickly to our lives?
Here the answer, which is actually on the surface, is not so obvious to young parents.
What is the sling for?
We are all used to the fact that the child after birth is separated from the mother. We all try “not to get the baby used to his hands”.
The grandmothers in the voice say: let him go to bed, poor man, but he will understand that he is already alone. Do not take it once again in your hands, say “good” advisers, who are already raising their children in the traditional way for Russia: the sooner the girl separates from her mother, the better!
Parks, strollers – all these attributes, alienating mother and child. And, no matter how sad it may sound, most modern parents do not want to hear their voices of reason when they are waiting in the next room, like their newborn baby, crying, crying in their crib and calling mom .
Note: if the child is in his arms, he is calm, he feels very well.
Mom should put the crumbs in the crib or somewhere else, that’s all! Angel sleeping peacefully as a substitute.
The child wakes up, starts to cry, to scream. Family
This happens in almost all families. And all because it is so established by nature: the child must be in the hands of the mother until he wants to separate himself from her.
This is, at least, until the time the child starts to crawl, and this is about six months. And even at that time, the child is still not very independent and, therefore, most psychologists agree that the child should be in the mother’s hands for up to 9 months.
But the young mother has other things to do: prepare, order and go grocery shopping, and if there are older children in the family, then there are a lot of things she can not do with her baby.
So, how to be? How and how to have time to make and give the newborn baby the right time?
This is where the modern mother comes to the rescue, who knows for sure that her baby will feel much more comfortable and calm in her arms, this attribute more “novel” of the past: SLING.
Now, a little more detail about what it gives the newborn baby, and even the bigger children, if they are used constantly:
- The baby in the sling is in a somewhat restricted position, since it is covered on all sides by the takanya. This gives the newborn baby “memories” of the period in which he was in the womb. The baby feels his mother’s movements when he walks, hears her breathing, his heartbeat, his voice and his calmness, since all these moments remind him of the first nine months of his life, when he was in a completely protected environment, when his mother was inseparable from him. A child in a sling learns to trust the world around him through his trust in his mother and trust in her.
- A child who is in the arms or in a sling receives much more, so necessary for him, the love and attention of the mother, than the children, who are rarely held by the hand.
- A newborn, used in a sling, develops and develops the activity of all systems: nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, excretory, immune, much better and faster. These children are better developed than their peers, both physically and intellectually. Your daily biorhythms are established faster, the vestibular apparatus develops.
- Children who are constantly caressed, hugs that have direct contact of their belly with the body of their mother, develop colic much less frequently.
- A child in a sling “participates” in all his affairs, which means that he is considered a full member of his family. These children in adulthood are much more active in expressing their position, they can show themselves and their “beings”.
And what about a woman? How does mom carry a baby about herself?
Let’s look at this side of the coin.
- Along with breastfeeding, carrying a newborn in a sling allows you to create a strong psychological connection between mother and child. And, in addition, it is an excellent prevention of postpartum depression in the mother, since the sling practically gives wings to the mother, it allows the mother to stay mobile and not be tied to the house and the stroller.
- Children, who are used a lot in their childhood, are much less likely to ask for their hands at a later age, when it becomes noticeably more difficult to carry a heavier, older child. That is, the child from birth is saturated with “carrying his hands,” and when he grows up, this need almost never arises.
- Carrying a baby in a sling is also a type of physical activity that allows a woman to recover faster after childbirth. In addition, groups of exercises and dance groups are now appearing for mothers and babies in a sling. And the child does not need to go anywhere, and my mother does aerobics!
- Carrying a child in a sling contributes to the formation of a strong maternal instinct, stimulates breastfeeding, acts on a mummy in a calm manner, because it is well established by nature. And unconsciously, every woman is anxious about such a state of affairs: mother and child are inseparable until the time comes to let the adult child go. And do not worry, it’s impossible to spoil with love!
But it is the newborn baby that needs this adaptation the most. Let’s see what sling to buy for a newborn.
For starters, I will tell you what kind of slings they are in general. By the way, in this article I will not address the subject of the well-known “kengurushek”.
Because the “kangaroo” is dangerous for your child, especially for babies up to 6 months, load it, which in no case should be confused with the harness and, of course, buy!
The main difference between the “kangaroo” and the sling is a narrow seat that gives weight to the baby’s perineum and spine.
While the sling establishes the physiological posture for the baby with the legs widely extended at the hip joints (frog posture or “m position”), it transfers all the load to the baby’s hips, and the spine acquires a Rounded shape and is able to absorb the most effective steps of the adult.
Then, types of slings
The king of all slings is a scarf. Why
Yes, because in this sling you can take a baby easily and comfortably from birth to 2 or 3 years.
No other type of slings will give you the comfort of a scarf with slings! It is the scarf that allows you to fuse as much as possible with your baby and feel every movement.
So, what is this deep sling?
Sling-scarf is a strip of fabric with a length of 3 to 5 to 6 meters and a width of 45 to 70 centimeters. And that’s it! Nothing more
Just a strip of fabric that allows you, using several types of coils, to pull the baby towards you in the position you need.
For newborns, this is the horizontal position of the “cradle” and the vertical position in the belly and chest of the parents. Yes, it is possible and necessary to carry a newborn erect in a sling, since this position is more physiological for a baby than a crib to which we are accustomed.
Have you seen how baby monkeys are in mom? Here the child adapts by nature precisely to this position.
As I noted earlier, all the load in this position falls on the child’s hips, and all are very well developed!
In addition, it is convenient to breastfeed the baby upright! And there is no risk, thinking, of hitting your head on the jamb or passing people, which is possible when the baby is in the “cradle” position, since in that position the head represents the size of the father.
And there are short scarves, the number of turns for them is limited and most are coils for using children in the thigh, and this provision is completely unacceptable for newborn babies, and therefore we will not discuss them in this article.
It is better to bear in mind the following: the scarves are woven with a special scarf-type fabric that does not stretch either in length or width, but opens well diagonally, because it provides optimal support to all parts of the scarf. body of a newborn baby, allowing him to remove the load. of the immature spine.
The second type of sling scarves is knit slings. These scarves are made of high-quality knit garments, which also extend a little along the length, but are well resolved diagonally.
The knitted scarf is created specifically for newborn children, it is inconvenient to carry children with a weight of more than 8 kilograms in a scarf of this type, since the scarf will be removed under the weight of a child and will deform the wound. But for children who have just arrived in the world, this scarf will be very useful!
Since the knitted scarves are more “comprehensive” and tender, which is necessary for a newborn.
In addition, this type of sling provides winding, which is completely wound on the mother, and we place the baby in the completely finished winding.
In addition, if you only control the sling, some errors may occur during the winding, so the woven sling, unlike the fabric, “forgive” these defects and will not affect your baby or your comfort.
Sling with rings
The second type of sling, suitable for a newborn baby, is a sling with rings.
This sling does not have a wide range of use as a scarf, however, in certain situations it has several advantages. Therefore, a sling with rings is a piece of cloth approximately two meters long and approximately 70 centimeters wide, one end of the cloth is sewn into rings: this is the shoulder of the sling and the second hangs loosely: the tail of the sling.
And that’s it!
There should be no foam pads, sides, patch pockets, nothing else in a sling with rings.
All these protrusions prevent you from properly adjusting the baby sling, and this can cause a tragedy! In a loose sling, a child can lie on his back easily and then his chins will be pressed against his chest, blocking oxygen access!
Therefore, be sure to pay attention to this point. A good harness with rings is just a fabric, one of whose edges is sewn in two completely metallic rings.
The diameter of the rings is not less than 5 centimeters, since in smaller rings it is more difficult to adjust the sling. And the rings must be necessarily seamless, past tensile tests.
After all, the safety of your child depends on the reliability of the rings!
The disadvantage of this harness is that all the load falls on one shoulder of the mother, which is much more difficult, which means that this type of harness is suitable only for short-term use, for example, from the car to the store and back, or just feed the crumbs.
There are many more types of slings, but only these two types are suitable for carrying newborn babies, so I will not consider the other slings in this article.
If we summarize a certain result, it can be said that the most versatile baby sling for a newborn, which can be worn from birth to the end of the baby’s period of use, is a woven scarf.
You can buy one and use it for 2 or 3 years. However, it is easier to learn and much more enjoyable for a newborn knit scarf.
Therefore, my advice for a slingomama for beginners is to start with a woven sling scarf, it will be enough for you to wear it fully for about four months, and then you can take a woven scarf or other type of sling (for example, a sling backpack that is more comfortable to use or May Honda).
If the mother does not plan to use a baby in a sling for a long time, then it is definitely worth choosing a sling with hoops. It is faster to use, although it is not simpler than a scarf, as it may seem at first.
Any sling requires certain skills and knowledge. Well, the most correct solution will be to have both types of slings, since a certain type of sling is more suitable for different situations!