Moms and dads will not wait for their children to stand up and take the first steps. However, such a happy event is often cloudy, if parents notice that the baby starts to walk like a dancer.
Why a child stands on tiptoe, this phenomenon can be considered a norm or a violation? Experts believe that the correct answer depends on how often your child behaves in this way.
Sometimes this behavior is not a symptom of the disease.
Fun is quite common among young children. A baby can be 10 months, one or two years old, sometimes or constantly put on tiptoe.
At the beginning, such a method of movement causes affection in the relatives, but soon after they begin to worry and worry if everything is fine with the crumbs.
Why a child walks in socks?
You should not be alarmed if you first see a crumb walking on tiptoe. Sometimes, the sources of this walk are on the surface and have nothing to do with the pathology.
- The curiosity and thirst for knowledge make the baby stand on tiptoe, to “grow” a little and awaken interest in the subject. In this case, the children will alternate the ballet walk with a complete foot advance. Over time, they will learn to walk correctly.
- Sometimes, the reason for this movement is an attempt to repeat the behavior of someone: the mother walking on her heels or a dancer dancing on television.
- The desire to avoid any obstacle (threshold of the door) or contamination (for example, there is a puddle in the child’s path).
- A child of one year or more learns to walk and experiments with the style of walking, that is, walking on socks, only an alternative to usual walking.
- If babies spend a lot of time in walkers, now their steps are difficult to get used to normal movement.
Otherwise, there is a risk of habits and, therefore, disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
Most of the time, the lack of oxygen in the fetus during pregnancy or delivery becomes the trigger for the ballet walk. As a result, the child has hypertonicity of the muscles.
Here are some more possible reasons.
- In case of muscular dystonia, the tension is distributed unequally: in one part of the foot increases and in the other, reduced. Due to this, the weight on the foot is incorrectly extended.
- Sometimes, a pathology such as cerebral palsy manifests itself in a seemingly innocuous way of walking on the tips.
- Birth injuries as a result of a severe birth or complications that have arisen in the birth process.
A pediatrician or neuropathologist will evaluate if there is a delay in the formation of the motor system, determine the causes of the disease and prescribe a course of treatment.
Adults will receive qualified recommendations, learn what to take to treat a child, for example, how to perform a massage at home.
Possible consequences of walking on tiptoe.
If parents do not quickly eliminate the provocative factors, in the future, children may experience more serious health problems. The consequences of a ballet walk not corrected in time can be:
- bad posture
- stiff neck
- development of foot deformities – clubfoot
- General physical delay.
In addition, due to inadequate and defective reduction of the calf muscles, there may be problems with walking.
How to wean a child to walk on socks?
What else should mom and dad do to eliminate the problem of tiptoeing?
- Swimming in the pool will help develop coordination of movements, large and fine motor skills.
- With the baby you should dedicate yourself to jumping, walking on the outer and inner arch of the foot in turns. Also be able to help you walk on an inclined plane.
- Relaxing foot bath with the addition of chamomile or lavender infusions.
- Get a ball for the fitball, put a child in it with complete stops and slowly turn the ball with the baby standing back and forth. Do this exercise with your spouse: the mother holds the baby and dad throws the ball.
- Consult with the orthopedist about the purchase of special shoes. When shopping, pay special attention to the following: a rigid bottom, the foot elevation can be fixed firmly with laces or velcro.
A correct and timely course of treatment will surely help children develop a beautiful gait, and in the future they will stop walking on their toes and begin to lean on the entire foot as they move.
Recommendations for home massage.
A very effective and widely available remedy to correct nogging is massage. Parents can independently perform several simple exercises at home without special preparation:
- Use your fingers on the feet of invisible children eights.
- Gently massage the muscles of your calves with your index and thumbs.
- Gently move the child’s foot back and forth, in different directions.
If children react to these exercises by crying, screaming and whims, you should interrupt the massage and understand what makes them nervous.
For this procedure to bring only crumbs of joy, pay attention to the following important points:
- The manipulations should only be done with warm hands.
- Make sure your nails are short
- Remove jewelry and watches from your fingers and wrists.
- Speak gently with the baby throughout the procedure.
However, in this case, you can see other visible signs.
If the baby develops normally, but at the same time goes on tiptoe, the famous pediatrician advises leaving him alone for up to three years. It does not need treatment.
And yet, if you notice that your child is walking in socks, you should consult a doctor.
He will be able to dispel his worries or prescribe an adequate and effective treatment. Surrounding the child with care and attention will definitely achieve good results.