Mothers after the birth of their baby dream of breastfeeding happily, but the first grip on the chest makes them feel uncomfortable and sore.
Many mothers endure it heroically, nervous and worried. But if breastfeeding injures the nipples, it is unlikely that breastfeeding will last long.
It is important to know that with proper breastfeeding there should be no pain, feeding is a natural process and should not cause any suffering to the mother.
Nipple pain when breastfeeding
Often breastfeeding mothers complain to breastfeeding doctors or consultants that their nipples hurt when breastfeeding. what do in this situation?
First, you must find out the reasons for this and eliminate them as soon as possible.
Breastfeeding mothers may usually feel chest or nipple pain during the first few days of breastfeeding during breast overflow (lactostasis or engorgement). With a fast and adequate lactation, this happens quickly.
Why do nipples hurt when breastfeeding?
The reasons for nipple pain when breastfeeding can be many, first of all, you should pay attention to:
- The most common reason is incorrect posture during feeding and inadequate attachment of the baby to the breast.
- Violation of the suction mechanism due to the use of pacifiers.
- Insufficient support for the baby’s head on the chest in the first days of feeding.
- Irritation of the skin from leaking milk, maceration due to the rare replacement of disposable breast pads.
- Abnormal weaning of the child when he pulls on the nipple and hurts him.
- The child’s discomfort in the chest by turning his head, squeezing and twisting the nipple.
- Neurological or orthodontic disorders in a child that interfere with normal suction.
- Dry nipple skin and areola due to frequent washing, the use of gels, soaps and other cosmetics.
- Inadequate underwear
Often, the pain in the nipples is manifested for the first time in the maternity hospital, when the child reaches the breast. And then the mothers simply wait patiently for the nipples to stop hurting while they nurse.
But it is important to remember that there should be no discomfort and that it is worth starting to immediately identify the causes of the pain.
How much time do nipples hurt during breastfeeding?
At the elimination of the reason discomfort is eliminated for several days.
You can use tools like bepanthen, dexpanthenol, purlelan or avent to soften and heal the damage.
The funds are applied to the skin of the nipple and areola in small amounts and are not washed before feeding.
If the nipples hurt after breastfeeding, they are irritated and there is burning and itching, which can be a sign of candidiasis.
In such cases, a treatment with 1% Candid and soda solutions is necessary for topical use in glycerin. Parallel to the mammary treatment, it is necessary to carry out the treatment and the mouth of the baby.